ProfessorMadras Institute of Development Studies 79, II Main Road, Gandhinagar, Adyar, Chennai 600020
Telephone: 0091-44-24412589 24411574 24420204 24419771; Extn: 319; Fax: 0091 - 44 - 24910872
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD (Economics) at Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram; Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi - August 2001.
- Title of Dissertation: Industrial formation under conditions of flexible accumulation: the case of a global knitwear node in Southern India.
- M.Phil. (Applied Economics) at Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram; Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi - July 1992.
- M.B.A, National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli.- May 1990
- B.E. (Instrumentation and Control) at Government College of Technology, Coimbatore; Bharathiar University, Coimbatore - May 1988.
- M.Sc:- Development of Optimum Agricultural Farm Plans for Kottampatti Block of Madurai District -A Lexicographic Goal Programming Approach.
- Ph.D:- Development of Optimum Agricultural Farm and Regional Plans for Sustainable Production in The Periyar-Vaigai Irrigation System - A Multi Objective Programming Approach.
- July 2017- Professor, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai
- August 2015 - June 2017: Associate Professor, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai
- January 2003 - October 2015: Assistant Professor, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai
- May 1-31, 2015: Visiting Professor, �cole des Hautes �tudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris
- August 2009 - May 2012: Guest Faculty, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras
- January - April 2004: Charles Wallace Visiting Fellow, School of Oriental and African Studies, London
- August 2001 - December 2002: Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore
Awards / Grants
- January - April 2004, Charles Wallace Fellowship in Contemporary Indian Studies, United Kingdom.
- July 2002-June 2003, Research Grant from Foundation for Urban and Regional Studies (FURS), Essex University to work on Diffusion of Information and Communication Technologies and Local Labour Market Impacts: Evidence from India.
- August 2006 -December 2007, Research Grant from DRC, IDS, Sussex, to work on Neighbourhood Associations as Urban Collective Actors: A Comparative Study of Bangalore and Chennai.
- August 2008 - Research /grant from ESRC/DFID, UK to work on Transforming livelihoods: work, migration and poverty in the Tiruppur garment cluster, India.
- May 1994- April 1999, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Doctoral Fellowship.
Memberships Academic/Professional Bodies
- Permanent Member, Indian Society of Labour Economics
- Member, Working Group on 'Labour Migration into Kerala', State Planning Board, Kerala, Labour and Employment, 2015-
- Core member, Network for Rural and Agrarian Studies
- Expert Member, M.A Programme on Labour and Development (IGNOU)
Books and Journals Special Issues
- 2017 - Human Development Report Tamil Nadu, Government of Tamil Nadu, Edited Government of Tamil Nadu Academic Foundation (Coordinator)
- 2016 - with A.R Vasavi Changing Countryside: A Symposium on New Trends in the Rural Landscape Seminar, Special Issue
- 2015 - with Shashanka Bhide and L. Venkatachalam. Promises and Challenges in India's Manufacturing Sector, Review of Development and Change, 20/2, Journal Special Issue.
- 2012 - with Coelho. K and Kamath L (eds.), Participolis: Consent and Contention in Neoliberal Urban India, N. Delhi: Routledge.
- 2011 -with Moriki Ohara and Hong Lin (eds.) Industrial Dynamics in China and India: Firms, Clusters and Different Growth Paths, Basingtoke: Palgrave MacMillan and IDE-JETRO).
- 2008 - with Saith. A and Gayathri. V (eds.) ICTs and Indian Social Development: Diffusion, Governance, Poverty, London, New Delhi.
- 2005 - with Saith. A (eds.) ICTs and Indian Economic Development: Economy, Work, Regulation, London, New Delhi, Sage 2005.
- 2001 - with S. Rothboeck and Gayathri.V, Labour in the New Economy: The Case of the Indian Software Labour Market, International Labour Organization (ILO): New Delh.
Research Papers in Journals
- 2017 - State Spatial Restructuring, Subnational Politics and Emerging Spaces of Engagement for Collective Action: Labour Regimes in Tamil Nadu, Southern India. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space; 35/1: 42-56.
- 2016 - The Politics of Urban Mega-projects in India: Income Employment Linkages in Chennai's IT Corridor. Economic and Political Weekly; 51/17: 8-92 (with M. Suresh Babu)
- 2016 - Populism and Collective Action Seminar 682:32-33
- 2015 - Decoding the Plea for Labour Reform Seminar 669:37-40
- 2014 - On the Charts, Off the Tracks, Disconnected Development in Ambur Town, Tamil Nadu, Economic and Political Weekly; 49/22: 101-110 ( with Karen Coelho)
- 2014 - Middle-Class and Slum-Based Collective Action in Bangalore Contestations and Convergences in a Time of Market Reforms. Journal of South Asian Development, 9/2: 147-171 (with L. Kamath)
- 2014 - Caste as Social Capital: The Tiruppur Story, Economic and Political Weekly; 49/10: 34-38 (with A.)
- 2013 - Economic Change, Politics and Caste: The Case of the Kongu Nadu Munnetra Kazhagam. Economic and Political Weekly; 48/48: 103-111 (with Andrew Wyatt)
- 2011 - Global Crises, Welfare Provision and Coping Strategies of Labour in Tiruppur, Economic and Political Weekly, Review of Labour, 46/22:38-45
- 2011 - Not by Patronage Alone: Understanding Tamil Nadu's Vote for Change. Economic and Political Weekly, 46/22: 13-15 (with Jeyaranjan. J)
- 2010 - Saving Agricultural Labour from Agriculture: SEZs and Politics of Silence in Tamil Nadu, Economic and Political Weekly, 45/6: 36-43.
- 2009 - Limits and Possibilities of Middle Class Associations as Urban Collective Actors, Economic and Political Weekly, 44/26-27: 368-376 (with L. Kamath)
- 2008 - Can Cluster Development Programmes ensure Decent Work? Evidence from Indian MSE Clusters in Global Value Chains, Indian Journal of Labour Economics 51/3:409-420
- 2007 - Many Messages of Sivaji, Economic and Political Weekly, 42/44:29-32 (with Andrew Wyatt)
- 2004 - Human Development in Tamil Nadu: Examining Linkages, Economic and Political Weekly, 34/8: 797-802 (with three others)
- 2003 - ICTs and Indian Development: Processes, Policies, Prognoses, Economic and Political Weekly, 38/24: 2360-2362 (with V. Gayathri)
- 2002 - Dimensions of Children's Work in the Cotton Knitwear Industry in Tiruppur, Indian Journal of Labour Economics 45/3 561-76.
- 2001 - Labour Markets in the New Economy: The case of Indian Software Industry, (co-authored), The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 44/1: 39-54.
- 1998 - A Curmudgeon's Guide to Economic Reforms in India, with Mani S, Economic and Political Weekly, XXXIII/51: 3257-3272.
- 1994 - Industrial Growth and Structure: Analyses of Manufacturing Sector in Karnataka, Economic and Political Weekly, XXIX/48: M157-M164 (with C. Upendranadh and Vinod Vyasulu)
Chapters / Papers in Edited Books
- 2017 - Income, Poverty and Employment. Tamil Nadu Human Development Report, State Planning Commission, Government of Tamil Nadu Academic Foundation
- 2017 - Summary and Way Forward. Tamil Nadu Human Development Report, State Planning Commission, Government of Tamil Nadu Academic Foundation
- 2017- Introduction. Tamil Nadu Human Development Report, State Planning Commission, Government of Tamil Nadu Academic Foundation (with L. Venkatachalam)
- 2017 - Peripheral Agriculture? Macro and Micro Dynamics of Land Sales and Land Use changes in the 'Rural' Economy of Kancheepuram. Political Economy of Contemporary India R. Nagaraj and S. Motiram 205-229, Cambridge University Press (with Ajit Menon)
- 2016 - Labour Process and Quality of Employment (7000 word module prepared for the Indira Gandhi National Open University, M.A Programme on Labour and Development) Indira Gandhi National Open University IGNOU, N. Delhi (Coursework module)
- 2014 - Emerging spatio-technical regimes of accumulation in the globalising south and implications for labour, in Harriss-White, B., & Heyer, J. (Eds.). (2014). Indian Capitalism in Development, Routledge, UK.
- 2014 - The Politics of Silence, in Rob Jenkins, Loraine Kennedy and Partha Mukhopadhyay (eds.), Power, Policy and Protest: The Politics of India's Special Economic Zones (Oxford University Press: N. Delhi).
- 2013 - Building Capabilities in the software service industry in India: Skill Formation and learning of domestic enterprises in value chains, in Transforming Economies: Making Industrial Policy work for growth, jobs and development Salazer-Xirinachs, Irmgard Nubler and Kozul-Wright 239-266 ILO, Geneva ( with M. Suresh Babu)
- 2012 - Opening up or Ushering in? Citizen Participation as Mandate and Practice in Urban Governance. In: K. Coelho, L. Kamath and M. Vijayabaskar (eds.), Participolis: Consent and Contention in Neoliberal Urban India, New Delhi: Routledge, pp 3-33. (with Coelho, K., Kamath, L.)
- 2012 - Urban Reforms and the Middle Classes: Fragmented Collective Action and the Incomplete Project of Stakeholder Participation (co-authored). In: K. Coelho, L. Kamath and M. Vijayabaskar (eds.), Participolis: Consent and Contention in Neoliberal Urban India, New Delhi: Routledge, pp. 151-173 (with Kamath, L.)
- 2012- Technological Development and Distribution of Gains in Agriculture' (a 5000 word course module on 'for B.A Economics Long Distance Programme run by the Indira Gandhi National Open University, N. Delhi) Indira Gandhi National Open University IGNOU, N. Delhi (Coursework module)
- 2011 - The Institutional Milieu of Skill Formation: A Comparative Study of Two Textile Regions in Ohara, India and China Industrial Dynamics in China and India: Firms, Clusters, and Different Growth Paths (pp: 135-156), Palgrave McMillan: New York. (with Hong Lin (eds.))
- 2008 -Constructing Work and Identity in the Indian outsourced ITeS sector in Saith. A, M. Vijayabaskar and V. Gayathri (eds.) ICTs and Indian Development: Governance, Diffusion, Poverty. London, New Delhi, Sage.
- 2005 - ICTs and Transformation of Traditional Workplaces: Case of the Indian Automobile Industry in Saith. A and M. Vijayabaskar (eds.) ICTs and Indian Economic Development: Economy, Work, Regulation, London, New Delhi, Sage.
- 2005 - Labour under Flexible Accumulation: Case of Tiruppur Knitwear Cluster, in Das. K (ed.) Industrial Clusters: Cases and Perspectives, (Aldershot: Ashgate),pp. 37-53.
- 2004 - Understanding Growth Dynamism and its Constraints in High-Technology Clusters in Developing Countries: A Study of Bangalore, Southern India, with Krishnaswamy G, in Mani S and H Romijn (eds.), Innovation, Learning and Technological Dynamism of Developing Countries, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, pp.178-201.
- 2002 - The Indian Garment Industry, in Garment Industry in South Asia- Rags or Riches? Competitiveness, productivity and job Quality in the post-MFA Environment, (Ed) Gopal Joshi, International Labour Organization (ILO): New Delhi (pp. 39-81).
Working Papers / Background Papers
- 2016 - Dispossession by Neglect: Agricultural Land Sales in the Periphery of Chennai. Published Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai (with Ajit Menon)
- 2014 - Understanding the Making of Non Corporate Capital: Entrepreneurial Narratives from Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu, Nehru Memorial and Museum Library (with Raman Mahadevan)
- 2014 - Engaging with Sustainability Issues in Metropolitan Chennai, European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), Chance 2 Sustain City Series, Report No 5 (with 17 project associates)
- 2012 - The development of technological capabilities in India: Information and Communication Technology in selected sectors, International Labour Organisation, (cited in Information Economy Report 2012: The Software Industry and Developing Countries), UNCTAD 2012 (with M. Suresh Babu)
- 2012- The Institutional Milieu of Skill Formation: A Comparative Study of Two Textile Regions in India and China, RINDAS International Symposium Series 2, The Center for the Study of Contemporary India, Ryukoku University, Japan.
- 2011 - Infrastructures of Consent: Interrogating Citizen Participation Mandates in Indian Urban Governance, IDS Working Paper 362, Centre for the Future State, Institute of Development Studies, Sussex (with Karen Coelho and Lalitha Kamath)
Selected Conference Papers
- 2015 - Dilemmas of Regional Industrial Policies: The Case of Tamilnadu, International conference on Achieving Accelerated Manufacturing Growth: The Promise and Challenges , Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai (with M. Suresh Babu)
- 2015 - Agrarian Transitions, Urban Labour Regimes and Emerging Mobilities in Tamil Nadu, International Conference on 'Centring Mobility in Tamil Worlds: Research Agendas for the Twenty-First Century', South Asian Studies Programme at National University of Singapore (NUS) and University of Toronto.
- 2014 - Peripheral Agriculture? Macro and Micro Dynamics of Land Sales and Land Use Changes in the Changing 'Rural' Economy of Kancheepuram, Political Economy of Contemporary India, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai, University of California, Berkeley and King's College, London, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGID) (with Ajit Menon)
- 2014 - Labour Market Location and Youth Politics in Tamil Nadu, Youth, Social Change and Politics in India Today, Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore.
- 2013 - On the Charts, Off the Tracks: Disconnected Development in Ambur Town Provincial Urbanization: Examining the Role of Small and Medium Towns, Tata Institute of Social Sciences Mumbai, and School of Planning and Architecture, N. Delhi, School of Planning and Architecture, N. Delhi, 23-24, (with Karen Coelho)
- 2012 - Conceptualising Contemporary Informality: An Exploratory Essay based on Emerging Evidence from Tamil Nadu, southern India. 'Actualities of Indian Economic Growth at Rural-Urban Crossroads', University of Tokyo
- 2012 - Emergence of 'Consent' for Land Acquisition: Trajectories of Dispossession in southern India. 'New questions concerning land in India.' South Asia Studies Council and the MacMillan Center, Yale University.
- 2012 - Regional Embeddedness and Neoliberalised Growth: Understanding Divergent Trajectories of Development in India, , Panel on 'State-centred regulation of industrial development in India and China' at the 24th annual conference of the Society for Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE), Society for Advancement of Socio-Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- 2012 - Emerging Spatio-Technical Regimes of Accumulation in the Globalising South and Implications for Labour, Capitalism and Development in the 21st Century: Conference held in honour of Prof. Barbara Harris White, Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- 2012 - Micro- Processes of Land Acquisition, Altering Rural Landscapes: Structures, Institutions and Households, ICSSR & Ford Foundation, Annamalai University, Chidambaram.
- 2012 - State Restructuring, Governmental Imperatives and Emerging Spaces of Engagement: Observations from southern India, State Restructuring and Rescaling in Comparative Perspective, IIAS Centre for Regulation and Governance, the Netherlands and the Centre d'Etudes de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud, CNRS-EHESS, France, University of Leiden, The Netherlands.
- 2.012 - Conceptualising Contemporary Informality: An Exploratory Essay based on Emerging Evidence from Tamil Nadu, southern India, "Actualities of Indian Economic Growth at Rural-Urban Crossroads", University of Tokyo, University of Tokyo.
- 2012 - Skill Formation in Indian Textiles Sector: Processes, Constraints and State Response, International Symposium on 'Industrial Dynamics in India and China', Centre for study of Contemporary India, Ryukoku University, Kyoto.
- 2012 - Understanding the Making of Non Corporate Capital: Entrepreneurial Narratives from Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu, Rethinking Economic History: Circulation, exchange and enterprise in India, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, N. Delhi, (with Raman Mahadevan).
- 2012 - Institutional voids as opportunity in India's land market , 'Institutional Voids in Asian Development', panel at Annual Conference of the Association of Asian Studies, International Institute of Asian Studies, Toronto, Canada (with Lorraine Kennedy)
- 2012 - Emergence of 'Consent' for Land Acquisition: Trajectories of Dispossession in southern India, 'New questions concerning land in India, Yale University (South Asia Studies Council and the MacMillan Center), New Haven, Connecticut.
- 2010 - Global Crises and Local Labour Response: A Case for Regional Social Regulation, Culture, Politics and Economics of South Asian Migration, University of Delhi, N. Delhi.
- 2010 - Local Labour Markets in Global Worlds of Production: A Comparative Study of Two Textile Regions in India and China, The Globalization of Production Models and Innovation in Emerging Economies: Comparative Research on Sub-national Industrial Policies, Institute of Studies in Industrial Development and Centre de Sciences Humaines, N. Delhi, Centre for Research on Contemporary China, Hong Kong, N. Delhi.
- 2016 - Formalising Finance, Informalising Labour: Demonetisation and the Informal Economy, Issue Brief, No.5, The Hindu Centre for Politics and Public Policy, Chennai.
- 2014 - Economic Governance and Spatial Planning in Small and Medium Towns: A case for Convergence, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai (with Karen Coelho)
- 2011- Worker welfare in export zones: Lessons from a garment cluster in south India, with Geert de Neve, Global Insights No: 3, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex.
- 2015 - India's Human Security: Lost Debates, Forgotten People, Intractable Challenges. Jason Miklian and �shild Kol�s, Pacific Affairs, University of British Columbia; 88/3.
- 2012 - India Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Report. P.M Mathew, S. Sridhar and Ram Venuprasad, Review of Development and Change, Madras Institute of Development Studies; 17/1.
- 2010 - Mohammad Talib, Writing Labour: Stone Quarry Workers in Delhi, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, Indian Journal of Labour Economics 53/3
- 2009 - Carol Upadhya and A R Vasavi, In an Outpost of the Global Economy: Work and Workers in India's Information Technology, Routledge, N. Delhi, Economic and Political Weekly, 44/23.
Newspapers / Newsletters / Magazines
- The Raging Bulls, Indian Express, January 30, 2017.
- Mother Politics, Indian Express, December 7, 2016.
- Tamil Nadu Polls: Welfare, Freebies, Prohibition, Indian Express, May 11, 2016
- Agriculture takes seed again in Manifestos, Times of India, May 12, 2016, http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/author/mvijayabaskar/
- Meengalai Kodupadha? Meen Pidika Katru Kodupadha?, Minnambalam, https://minnambalam.com/k/1462320004, May 4, 2016
- Where buying a motorcycle can spark a riot. (with Anandhi.S), The Hindu, January 7, 2013.
- Farmers don't need Futures, Financial Express, 22/5/2009.
- China now targets rural infrastructure, Financial Express, 18/3/2009.
- Indhiya Arasin Porulaadhara Kollgaiyum Tamizh naattin poruladhara maatramum, Maatru Veli. Vol.1 No.2, 2009.
- India's New Welfare Architecture: Genesis, Promises, Risks (Draft paper prepared for the UNRISD project on New Directions in Social Policy: Alternatives from and for the Global South) (with Sanjay Ruparelia, John Harriss, Gayathri Balagopal)
- Factors Driving Land Use Change Rural Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Human Development Report
- Mapping Linkages between Mega projects and Local Economic Development: Case of the Sriperumbudur Region
- 'Young People in India: Social Change, Development and Politics', supported by Institute of South Asian Studies, National University Singapore and carried out jointly with Jahwaharlal Nehru University. N. Delhi and Asian Development Research Institute, Patna.
- Economic Planning in Small and Medium Towns -Case of Ambur, Tamil Nadu (with Karen Coelho)
- Mapping Linkages between Megaprojects and Local Economic Development:
- Case of a Technology Park in Chennai, south India (along with Dr. Suresh Babu, Dept. of HSS, IIT Madras.
- Factors Driving Land-Use Change in rural Tamil Nadu: Study of three districts'
- Changing contours of state welfarism and emerging citizenship: A comparative study of Tamil Nadu and Kerala (in collaboration with IIT Madras)
- New Directions in Social Policy: Alternatives from and for the Global South (with Gayathri Balagopal)
- Disjunctures and Disconnections: A case Study of Economic Development and Urban Planning in Ambur town (project report with Karen Coelho).
Recent Completed Research Projects
- Mapping Linkages between Megaprojects and Local Economic Development: Case of a Technology Park in Chennai, south India
- 'Factors Driving Land-Use Change in rural Tamil Nadu', funded by the State Planning Commission, Govt. of Tamil Nadu
- 'Young People in India: Social Change, Development and Politics'
- Mapping Linkages between Megaprojects and Local Economic Development: Case of SEZ Development in Sriperumbudur
- 'Factors Driving Land-Use Change in rural Tamil Nadu: Study of three districts', funded by the State Planning Commission
- Preparation of Tamil Nadu Human Development Report, State Planning commission, TN
- Changing contours of state welfarism and emerging citizenship: A comparative study of Tamil Nadu and Kerala (with IIT Madras)
- Saravanakumar: Diffusion of SRI Technology in Paddy Cultivation
- Arun Bharathy: Drivers of Employment in Non-Farm Economy
- Bibhuti Bhushan Pradhan: Dynamics of internal migration in India
- Srujana Boddu: Segmentation in Informal Labour Markets
- Titu Mahanta: Small Tea Growers in Global Value Chains: Constraints to Upgrading
- Sumalatha B.S: Agricultural Commodity Futures Trading in India: An Analysis of Price Discovery and Barriers to Participation in Futures Markets of Rubber and Pepper
- Nirmal Roy V.P: Financialisation of Land and Implications: The Case of Kerala
- Taught a 4 credit course on Agricultural Economics for the Master's Programme at Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras for three semesters
- Taught a 3 credit course on Indian Economic Development for the Master's Programme at Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras for one semester
- A 8 lecture module on 'Political Economy of Labour, Technology and Development' for the Ph.D Course Work at MIDS.
Available on request