Associate ProfessorMadras Institute of Development Studies 79, II Main Road, Gandhinagar, Adyar, Chennai 600020
Telephone: 0091-44-24412589 24411574 24420204 24419771; Extn: 303; Fax: 0091 - 44 - 24910872
- Ph. D : 2001, Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Thesis on: Personality Cult in Tamil Nadu Politics: A Study of the Culture of Dravidian Parties.
- M.Phil : 1992-94 Political Studies, Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Dissertation on: Film and Politics of Tamil Nadu: A Study of Fan Clubs.
- JUNE 1989: MA Political Science from Madras Christian College, Chennai, India.
- Associate Professor at the Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai, India Since 2015.
- Assistant Professor at the Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai, India. (DEC 2002 to 2015):
- Research Associate at National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, New Delhi (Jan 2002 to Nov 2002)
- Research Consultant at Centre for Social Research, New Delhi (Aug 2001 to Dec 2001).
- Organising Secretary at Department of Education, Delhi University, Delhi(1999 to 2000).
- Research Assistant at Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi(1997 to 1999).
My long-term research interest has been on the "Political Economy of Tamil Film Industry". Besides, I focus on boarder issues of Political Theory, Political Culture, Dravidian Politics, Subordinated Social Groups/movements and Media/ Cultural studies.
- "The Culture of Populism in Tamil Nadu", Journal of the Social Reality, JNU, New Delhi, Vol.1, No.2, Nov-Dec. 1994.
- "Dalit's Identity: A Historical Perspective", Journal of Economic News and Views, New Delhi, l.2, No.5, Jan 1-15, 1995.
- "Fan Clubs Network of Film Stars and Tamil Politics", Mainstream, New Delhi, May 4, 1996.
- "Need for Intellectual Persistence" in Journal of The Third Concept, Special issue for 50th year of India?s Independence, September - 1997
- "Political Parties Blind to Dalit Concerns", The Times of India, New Delhi, 22 April,1998.
- "Review the Spirit-Not the Letter", Periyar Era, August, 1998, Chennai.
- "Activating Social Capital for Dalit Identity" in Dr. Ambrose Pinto?s (ed.) volume of Assertion Dalit identity, 1999, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi.
- "Symbiotic Culture of Religion and Politics in Tamil Nadu", in Inukonda Thirumali, (ed.), South India: Regions, Culture and Sagas, 2004, Bibliomatrix, New Delhi, pp.95-103.
- "Out-Caste", a book review: Growing Up Untouchable in India: A Dalit Autobiography of Vasant Moon, Translated from the Marathi by Gail Omvedt and Introduction by Eleanor Zelliot, 2002,
- Vistaar Publications, New Delhi. Economic and Political Weekly, November 29, 2003.
- "Dalit Masculinities in Social Science Research: Revisiting a Tamil Village", Economic and Political Weekly, March 6, 2004.
Current Research Work
Currently, I have undertaken, in collaboration with Prof. John Sinclair, Victoria University, Melbourne, a study on "Television, Globalization and Social Change in India". The data collection is completed and a draft report has been submitted. Based on the research findings, we are working on a joint paper on the same theme. Further, I am working on Corporate Social Responsibility and the extension of Reservation for the Dalits (SCs/STs) in Private Sector. Beside, (a) I would be finishing a Working Paper on Dialectics of Indian Democracy: Political Development and Culture; (b) I am also revising my doctoral thesis entitled: "Personality Cult in Tamil Nadu Politics: A Study of the Culture of the Dravidian Parties", for publication by the end of 2005.
Available on request