Professor P. G. Babu
DirectorMadras Institute of Development Studies 79, II Main Road, Gandhinagar, Adyar, Chennai 600020 Tel: 0091 44 24412589 / 24411574 / 24420204 / 24419771 Extn:314 Fax: 0091 44 24910872
P.G. Babu assumed office of the Director, MIDS from February 21, 2019. Prior to that he was at IGIDR from 1993, where he held various academic and administrative positions such as Dean of Graduate Studies, Coordinator of the Law and Economics Program since 2000, and Professor. He acted as Mumbai coordinator for the Erasmus Mundus European Masters and Doctoral Programs in Law and Economics since 2009. Since 2015, he is the Managing Editor of Journal of Quantitative Economics, Official Journal of The Indian Econometric Society (TIES) published by Springer Nature, and for two years prior to that he was Joint Managing Editor of the same journal. He has held Adam Smith Chair Professorship in Philosophy and Economics at University of Bayreuth, Germany during summer semesters from 2008 to 2013. He has held visiting professorships at the Universities of Aix-Marseille, Hamburg, IIM Ahmedabad, Madras School of Economics, Erasmus University at Rotterdam, Warsaw School of Economics and Yale. He has a citation from the Prime Minister of India for his research work on decision-making framework for climate change, as part of IPCC working group, which was recognized by a Nobel Memorial Prize, in 2007. The 23rd BSA and Dewang Mehta National Education Awards recognized his teaching through `Best Professor in Economics’ award in 2015. He is the Chief Justice of India’s nominee to the MNLU Academic Council since its inception and is on the Senate of IIT Bombay as Chairman’s nominee. He has organized several capacity building workshops in Law and Economics and Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE), apart from various specialized national and international conferences and workshops on topics related to his research interests. He has led several institution-building activities through establishment of institutional collaborations with leading Indian and European universities and has played active role in the curriculum development at IGIDR and elsewhere. His research interests are in Microeconomic theory, Game theory, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Law and Economics, Politics-Philosophy and Economics, and their applications. He has published, and also developed and taught several graduate level courses in these areas, both at Indian as well as European universities. He is an alumnus of Indian Institute of Science (where he earned his Ph.D.) and Madurai Kamaraj University (where he earned his Masters in Mathematical Economics and Bachelors in Mathematics).
- B.Sc. (Mathematics), Madurai Kamaraj University
- M.Sc. (Mathematical Economics), Madurai Kamaraj University
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Science
- Director, Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS), Chennai (since February 21, 2019)
- Professor, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai (since 1993 from Visiting to tenured positions; on leave)
- Managing Editor, Journal of Quantitative Economics, Official Journal of “The Indian Econometric Society” (TIES) published by Springer Nature (since 2015); Joint Managing Editor (2013 to 2014)
- Editor, Review of Development and Change, published by SAGE Publications for MIDS (since March 2019)
- Coordinator and Board Member of the European Union’s Erasmus Plus `European Masters Program in Law and Economics’ (EMLE), since 2009
- Coordinator of the Erasmus Mundus `European Doctoral Program in Law and Economics’ (EDLE), IGIDR, Mumbai, 2009-2014; Associate Partner of EDLE, since 2015
- Dean of Graduate Studies, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, 2007 to 2009
- Visiting Professor, MISB Bocconi, Fall 2015 and Fall 2016
- Visiting Professor, Faculte d’Economie et de Gestion, Aix Marseille University, Aix-en-Provence, France, September 2014
- Visiting Mundus Professor, Warsaw School of Economics (SGH), Warsaw, Poland, September 2013; June 2016; June 2017
- Adam Smith Chair Professor in Philosophy and Economics, University of Bayreuth, Germany, German Summer semesters (April to July) of 2008 to 2011, 2013
- Visiting Professor, Institute of Law and Economics, University of Hamburg, Germany, Winter semester 2007; Winter semester 2009
- Visiting Professor, Erasmus University at Rotterdam, Netherlands, Winter 2009
- Visiting Professor, Madras School of Economics, Chennai (2006 to 2008, spring semesters)
- Visiting Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, Dec 2006 to Feb 2007
- Visiting Fellow, Department of Economics, Yale University, 1997
- Research Associate, Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 1992-93
- Microeconomics, Game Theory, and applications
- Economics of Environment and Natural Resources
- Law and Economics; Politics, Philosophy and Economics
Fellowships / Awards / Memberships
- Chairman’s Nominee to the Senate of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, since 2019
- Convocation Address, Department of IE and OR, IIT Bombay, 2018.
- Chief Justice of India’s Nominee to the Academic Council of Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU) Mumbai since its inception
- “Best Professor in Economics”, Awarded by the 23rd Business School Affaire and Dewang Mehta National Education Awards, dated November 28, 2015
- Citation by Dr. Manmohan Singh, then Prime Minister of India, in recognition of contribution to the work of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which is the joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007, dated November 26, 2007
- Invited by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm to present the paper entitled “Efficient Emission Reduction through Joint Implementation” which was selected for the “Environment and Development Economics” Journal Inauguration, 1996
- Meenakshi Sundaranar Memorial Gold Medal for First Rank in M.Sc., Mathematical Economics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, 1985
- "Buyer's Bid Bargaining with Incomplete Information as a Stochastic Game Model", pp. 287-302 in B.Dutta et.al. (eds), 1992, Game theory and Economic applications, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg
- “Decision Making Framework for Addressing Climate Change”, pp. 53-77, Chapter 2 in Bruce, J.P., Lee, H., and Haites, E.F. (eds.), 1996, Climate Change 1995: Economic and Social Dimensions of Climate Change, Contribution of Working group III to the second assessment report of the IPCC, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. (coauthored with Arrow, K.J., Parikh, J., Pillet, G.)
- “Efficient Emission Reduction through Joint Implementation”, Environment and Development Economics, 1996, Vol.1 (4), pp. 445-464, journal published by the Cambridge University Press in collaboration with the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (coauthored with Bibhas Saha)
- “Joint Implementation: A Bargaining Approach”, pp. 232-255 in Parikh, J. et al (eds.), 1997, Climate Change and North-South Cooperation, Tata-McGraw Hill: New Delhi (coauthored with Bibhas Saha)
- "Climate change, North-South cooperation and collective decision making Post-Rio", Journal of International Development, 1997, Vol. 9 (3), pp. 403-413 (coauthored with J. Parikh and Kavikumar)
- “An overlapping generations model with an exhaustible resource and stock pollution”, Ecological Economics, 1997, Vol.23 (1), pp. 35-43 (coauthored with Kavikumar and Satyanarayana Murthy)
- “Some issues in climate change decision making”, International Journal of Environment and Pollution, 1998, Vol. 9 (8), pp.179-185
- "Game Theory: Conventions and Knowledge", Resonance: Journal of Science Education, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1998, Vol. 3 (8); "Game Theory: Nash Equilibrium", Resonance: Journal of Science Education, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1998, Vol. 3 (7)
- "Informational approach to intergenerational resource sharing", Energy Sources, 1998, Vol.20 (4-5), pp. 333-342
- "Privatisation and Auctions", pp. 267-278 in Parikh, K. (ed.), 2000, India Development Report 1999-2000, Oxford University Press: New Delhi (coauthored with Nibedita Das).
- “Clean Development Mechanism: Issues and Options”, in India and Global Climate Change, 2003, Toman, M. et al. (eds.), Resources for the Future, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (coauthored with Kavi Kumar and Bibhas Saha), published in India by Oxford University Press.
- “Clean Development Mechanism and Sustainable Development” (co-authored with J.Parikh), in Sustainable Development: Perspectives and Initiatives, 2007, Dipankar Dey (ed.), ICFAI University Press.
- "Suit and Settlement Bargaining under Asymmetric Information: The case of Bhopal Gas Victims", in Economic Analysis of Law in India: Theory and Applications, Babu P.G., Eger, T., Raja, A., Schaefer, H.B., and Somashekhar, T. (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Transgressions Beyond the Boundary: The Curious Mind of Kaushik Basu”, Invited Paper, Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, 2012 (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2613588)
- “Prosecuting Corruption in India: Evidence from Karnataka” (co-authored with Vikas Kumar and Poonam Mehra), in India Development Report, 2012-13, S. Mahendra Dev (ed.), Oxford University Press.
- “Mass Flourishing and Corporatism: Two Indian Stories”, Homo OEconomicus: Journal of Behavioral and Institutional Economics, Springer Nature, 2016, Volume 33, pp. 43-49.
- “Economic Analysis of Law in India: Theory and Applications”, Edited by Babu P.G., Eger, T., Raja, A., Schaefer, H.B., and Somashekhar, T. (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Development in India: Micro and Macro Perspectives”, Edited jointly with Mahendra Dev, Contributions from Dilip Abreu, Dilip Ahuja, Hans Binswanger and Kirit Parikh, Avinash Dixit, Ravi Kanbur, Ashok Kotwal, Sugato Marjit, Anil Markhandaya, Kaivan Munshi, Jyoti Parikh, Mihir Rakshit, Bharat Ramaswami, Nirvikar Singh, T.N. Srinivasan, and Marti Subrahmanyam, Springer Verlag, 2016.
Work in Progress
- “How Law can end the Poverty of Nations”, Joint with Robert Cooter and Hans-Bernd Schaefer, Manuscript under Publication Process.
- “India Beyond 2020: Opportunities and Challenges”, Edited jointly with Mahendra Dev and A. Ganesh-Kumar, Contributions from all former Chief Economic Advisors to the Government of India, Manuscript under Publication Process.
- “General Equilibrium Theory”, work in progress for publication in Tracts and Research in Mathematics (TRIM) Series of National Board for Higher Mathematics, India.
- “Two Cultures: The Making of Interdisciplinary and cross-cultural research from an Economics perspective”; Contributions from Matthew Braham, Thomas Eger, Pierre Garello, Martin van Hees, Manfred Holler, Mukul Majumdar, Dreidre McCloskey, Kirit Parikh, Jenik Radon, Tirthankar Roy, and Hans-bernd Schaefer, with a Foreword by Kaushik Basu. Edited Volume under preparation.
- “Law and Public Policy in India”, Volume under preparation.
- “Law and Economics of Development”, Manuscript under preparation.
- “Lecture notes on Mathematics for Economic Theory”, Draft version - develops mathematics explicitly as a language for economics and differs in its focus considerably from the many existing textbooks of this genre in establishing links between various parts of exposited mathematics.
- Social Norms, Institutional Structures and Development Policy, IGIDR Proceeding/Project Report No. 4 (coauthored with Ajit Mishra)
- Contingent Valuation of Borivli National Park, Bombay, Project report (coauthored with T.R. Muraleedharan et al.)
- Project on Land Consolidation: Instructions manual, Questionnaire and Coding Scheme, IGIDR Proceeding/Project Reports No.20 (coauthored with S. Geetha and S. Mahendra Dev)
- "Bayesian Learning and Asymptotical Equilibria in Stochastic Dynamical Games" (coauthored with Vivek S. Borkar), IGIDR DP 110.
- "Common Perception", IGIDR DP 123
- “A Framework for Dynamic Agency Interaction”, IGIDR DP 124
- “Clean Development Mechanism and Sustainable Development” (co-authored with J.Parikh), Theme paper for the workshop on CDM, Conference of Parties-8, New Delhi, 2002.
- “Market Design Through Two-sided Matching Models”, Invited paper for the Symposium on Current Topics in Operations Research, IIT Bombay, November 12, 2005
- “Political Economy of Failed States: A Second Reading”, Invited Paper for the Workshop on `Failed States’, July 2011, University of Bayreuth, Germany
- “Open Access Publishing: Evidence from India” (co-authored with Thomas Eger and Mark Scheufen), Manuscript Draft
- Nibedita Das, Optimal Regulatory Policy: Applications to the Indian Telecommunications Sector, August 20, 1999 (Other members of Thesis Committee: Raghavendra Jha and Ajit Mishra)
- Santanu Gupta, Political Economy models of local public good provision, May 2001 (Other members: Raghavendra Jha and Jayati Sarkar)
- Subarna Samanta, Growth, Unemployment and Public-Provision of Goods: Role of Fiscal and Political Institutions, June 2006 (Other members: Bibhas Saha and Kausik Chaudhury)
- Bikram De, Essays on Business Groups, not submitted (Other members: Jayati Sarkar and Subrata Sarkar)
- Poonam Mehra, Mergers and Acquisitions: Market Structure, Firm Size and Regulation, April 2010 (Other members: Subrata Sarkar and Thomas Eger (Hamburg))
- Vikas Kumar, Three Essays on the Political Economy of Conflicts, September 2010 (Other members: Manfred Holler (Hamburg) and Jayati Sarkar)
- Sanchit Arora, Monetary and Fiscal Policy: Interaction and Coordination, 2014 (Other members: Ashima Goyal and Indira Rajaraman (NIPFP))
- Nitin Harak, Economics of India’s Climate Policy, Under examination (Other members: A. Ganesh-Kumar and G. Mythili)
- Chandan Kumar, Contractual Issues of PPP Model, Under examination (Other Members: Subrata Sarkar and Sanjay Singh (IIM Lucknow))
- Shivangi Chandel, Essays on Procurement Auctions, Under examination (Other Members: Shubhro Sarkar and Debashis Mishra (ISI Delhi))
- Amit Kumar Maurya, Multilateral Bargaining, Ongoing (Other Members: Krishnendu Ghosh Dastidar (JNU); Chair: Shubhro Sarkar)
- Saish Nevrekar, Economic Applications of Contest Theory, Under examination (Other members: Subrata Sarkar, Sanjeev Goyal (Cambridge))
- Soma Dey, Renegotiation and Incomplete Contracts: Efficiency Issues, July 1999
- Parthasarathi Chatterji, R&D and Market Incompleteness, July 1999
- Ganesh Anipindi, Two Essays on the Economics of Internal Armed Conflicts, July 2001
- Suhas Saha, Two Essays on the Applications of Supermodularity in Economics, January 2003
- Subhra Baran Saha, Causes and Consequences of Private Tutorials: Analysis and Policy Prescriptions, January 2004 (Supervised jointly with Bibhas Saha)
- Sourabh Bikas Paul, Public Sector Job Reservation in India: A Search Theoretic Model, June 2004
- Sindhu Easwara Menon, Cauvery River Conflict: An Analytical Narrative, January 2005 (Supervised jointly with Jayati Sarkar)
- Pallavi Baral, Speculative Bubbles in a Small World: An Exercise in Information Transmission Mechanisms, October 2007
- Akrur Barua, Essays on Behavioral Economics, March 2008
- Amlendu Dubey, Emissions Permit Markets: The Case of Initial Permit Allocation Mechanisms, August 2008 (Committee Member: Johan Albrecht, University of Ghent, Belgium)
- Payel Chowdhury, The Crime Scenario in India: An Economic Perspective, September 2008 (Supervised jointly with Kausik Chaudhury)
- Tanmoy Neogy, Financial Contracting in the Presence of Heterogeneous Lenders, October 2010
- Abhinaba Nandy, Political Economy of the Media, July 2017
- Saish Nevrekar, The Formation of Rank Structure through Self-interested Interactions, July 2018
Masters and Post-Masters Theses
- Pallavi Baral, Bubbles and Information Transmission in a `Small World’, May 2005, IGIDR
- Anne Winkel, Export Processing Zones as a Tool for Development: Theoretical Analysis and Namibian Performance, University of Bayreuth, July 2009
- Tillmann Heidelk, Saving Lives: Replacing TRIPS Regarding Life Essential Pharmaceutical Products by a New Trading Scheme, University of Bayreuth, August 2010
- Alexandra Blickling, Indian Microfinance: Analysis of the implications and potentials of the commercialization process, University of Bayreuth, October 2010
- Abhimanyu Dadu, Insurgency as Social Conflict: An Economic Approach, May 2011, IGIDR
- Madhav Kumar, Financial Crisis in the Evolutionary Game Theory Framework, May 2011, IGIDR
- Angelika Mueller, Biomass CDM Projects and their Contributions to Poverty Alleviation in India, University of Bayreuth, May 2011
- Julian Faust, Agricultural Crisis in India: Farmer Suicides, Bt-Cotton and the Role of Institutions, University of Bayreuth, May 2011
- Gabriela Witek, Impact of Environmental Regulation on Firm Performance – Examination of the Porter Hypothesis, European Masters in Law and Economics (EMLE) Thesis, August 2011, IGIDR
- Marta Maya, The prohibition of Cow Slaughter in India: a law and economic analysis of religious belief and constitutional restrictions, EMLE Thesis, August 2011, IGIDR
- Annett Steudel, Micro-insurance as a Tool for Disaster and Risk Management: The Case of Index based Agricultural Insurance for Rural Households, Masters Thesis, University of Bayreuth, December 2011
- Konrad Beil, Share it with the People! How Resource Dividend can help in fighting Resource Curse and Poverty, Bachelors Thesis, University of Bayreuth, March 2012
- Paola Alarcon Lopez, Constitutional Design and Political Agency Problem: The Case of Colombia, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2012, IGIDR
- Sonia Malpeso, Media Capture and Digital News Environment: Questioning the Competitive Nature of Social Media, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2012, IGIDR
- Abdel Moussa, Inclusive Growth through Education: A Law and Economics Analysis of India’s Right to Education Act 2009, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2012, IGIDR (joint with Mahendra Dev)
- Yifei Yan, Fundamental Causes for China’s Urban-Rural Disparity: A Law and Political Economy Analysis, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2012, IGIDR (Outstanding EMLE Student of the Year Award)
- Marvin Cooper, Tackling Rural Poverty in India: Are Diversified Households the Answer?, Bachelors Thesis, University of Bayreuth, September 2012
- James Hulverscheidt, University of Bayreuth, 2012
- Puja Doshi, Formal Institutions in Water Management: A Comparative Study of India and South Africa, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2013, IGIDR
- Saish Nevrekar, Effect of Market Structures and Opinion Dynamics on the Market Outcome, Masters Thesis, IGIDR, May 2014
- Andreas Metschke, India’s Thermal Imports: A forecast of India’s thermal coal demand and its implications on coal imports – Scenario based study employing energy policy analysis, Masters Thesis, University of Bayreuth, September 2014
- Marc Kempf, The Development of Natural Space Resources - Towards an Optimal Property Rights Regime for Extraterrestrial Mining, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2016
- Hanna Dieckmann, The focal point nature of law-An Analysis of Child Labour, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2016
- Aenne Schroeder, A Comparative Incentive Analysis of Settlement Laws, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2016
- Ospina, Dagoberto, Regulating PPPs in Colombia: A Law and Economics Perspective, EMLE Masters Thesis, August 2017
NEW COURSES DEVELOPED AND TAUGHT
At Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (at the Masters/Doctoral level)
- Microeconomic Theory 1 (Preferences, Choice, Utility, Duality and theory of Demand, Cost and Production Functions, Markets, Game Theory) (Fall 2007) (taught jointly with Shubhro Sarkar and Veeramani)
- Microeconomic Theory 2 (General Equilibrium, Economics of Uncertainty, General Equilibrium under Uncertainty, Information) (every spring semester starting from 1998 onwards until 2019, except 2017)
- Mathematics for Economics/Optimization (Axiomatic method, real and convex analysis, fixed point theorems) (Fall 1994, August of 1996, 1999 and 2000, Spring 2002)
- Games and Information (Agency Theory and Non-cooperative Game Theory) (Spring 1994 (taught jointly with Shikha Jha and Ajit Mishra), Spring 1996, Spring 1997)
- Games and Information 1 (Foundations of Information economics and Contract theory) (Spring 1998, Fall 2000, Fall 2004)
- Games and Information 2 (Non-cooperative Game Theory) (Fall 1998, Spring 2001)
- Topics in Economic Theory (Hybrid contract models, Learning, Bounded rationality models) (Spring 1999)
- Auctions and Options: Topics in Market Design and Quantitative Finance (part of collaboration with TIFR; developed and taught jointly with Sandeep Juneja of TIFR) (Spring 2005)
- Market Design and Information (Shannon’s notion of Information, Information structures, comparison of information structures: Blackwell sufficiency, Value of Information, Non-concavity in its value, risk and information, option value, Agency Theory, Theory of Search, Two sided Matching Models) (Spring 2006)
- Economics of Natural Resources (Exhaustible and Renewable resources, Externality theory) (Spring1995) (taught jointly with T. R. Muralidharan)
- Energy and Environment Economics (Externality, climate change, irreversibility, and biodiversity) (Spring 1998) (taught jointly with Jyoti Parikh)
- Public Economics (Preference aggregation, Arrow’s impossibility theorem, various voting models, democracy) (Spring 2012) (taught jointly with Rabindra Bhattacharya)
- Law and Economics of Development, EMLE core course (Spring 2011 onwards) (taught jointly with Vikas Kumar)
At University of Bayreuth, Germany (Graduate Level, 2008 to 2011, 2013)
- Economics of Climate Change
- Lectures on Development
- Lectures on Political Economy
- Market Design
- Topics in Decision Theory
- Economics of Natural Resources
- Grundlagen des Entscheidens I (Decision Theory I)
- Grundlagen des Entscheidens II (Decision Theory II)
- Special Topics in Economic Modeling
At MISB Bocconi (First Year MBA Students)
- Microeconomics (Core Course)
At University of Hamburg, Germany (Post-Masters Level)
- Public Law and Economics (Core course which forms part of the European Masters in Law and Economics (EMLE) Program, October-December 2007 at the Institute of Law and Economics of University of Hamburg)
At Erasmus University at Rotterdam, Netherlands (Post-Masters Level)
- Microeconomic Theory (Core course for the Erasmus Mundus European Masters in Law and Economics Program)
At Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (Second year MBA students)
- Game Theory and Applications (Game Theory with the business school orientation taught to a large class of 120 students in two sections each, Dec 2006 – March 2007 trimester)
At Madras School of Economics, Chennai (Graduate students in Economics and Finance)
- Games and Information (Uncertainty, Search Theory, Information structures, Blackwell ordering, risk and information, applications to moral hazard and adverse selection, basic game theory) (Spring 2006 and Spring 2007)
- Industrial Economics (Fall 2008)
At Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Game Theory (Cooperative and Non-cooperative Game Theory) (Ph.D. level – viz., 300 level - course; taught at Electrical Engineering Dept., jointly with Vivek Borkar and Debashis Ghose), Fall 1992 and Spring 1993
- Teaching Assistant for the Graduate course "Applied Operations Research", 1989-92
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES / WORKSHOPS ORGANIZED
- Organized a weekly workshop on "Decision and Control" at the Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1990-1992 along with Vivek Borkar, Debashish Ghose and Vinod Sharma.
- National Workshop on "Social norms, institutional structures and development policy" at IGIDR, February 25-27, 1994 (organized jointly with Ajit Mishra and Anindya Sen)
- International Conference on “Game theory and economic applications” at IGIDR, January 9-10, 1996 (organized jointly with Ajit Ranade and Anindya Sen)
- National Workshop on "General Equilibrium with Incomplete Markets" led by Prof. Heracles Polemarchakis (then President, CORE, Catholic Univ. at Louvain, Belgium) at IGIDR, March 19-26, 1998
- Discussion meeting on Law and Economics at IGIDR, Mumbai, August 29, 2001 (organized jointly with Manoj Panda)
- National Seminar on Economic Crimes and Financial Frauds at IGIDR with the Key Note Address by Mr. Arun Jaitley, Hon’ble Union Minister of Law and Corporate Affairs, Mumbai, March 22-24, 2002, organized on behalf of the Justice Malimath Committee on Reforms of Criminal Justice System (funded by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India)
- Organization of the Workshop on Clean Development Mechanism, Conference of Parties-8, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, October 2002 (funded by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India)
- Local Organizing Committee Member, International Conference on Game Theory, Taj Mumbai, January 2003
- National Training Program/Workshop on Law and Economics at IGIDR, Mumbai, February-March 2003 (in collaboration with several leading scholars from Germany and India)
- IGIDR-University of Hamburg Joint Workshop on Law and Economics, IGIDR September 2004
- National Summer School in Mathematical Finance, April 2005, IGIDR jointly with Sandeep Juneja of TIFR (with the cooperation of Indian Statistical Institute Delhi, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research and Indian Institute of Technology Bombay faculty)
- First Asia Link Program workshop on Law and Economics, August-September and December 2006, IGIDR (part of the collaboration between IGIDR, National Law School Bangalore, Hyderabad Central University, University of Hamburg and University of Ghent; funded by the European Union)
- Program Committee Member, Second Asian Law and Economics Conference, Bangalore December 8-9, 2006
- Second Asia Link Program workshop on Law and Economics, June 11 to 29, 2007, IGIDR (part of the collaboration between IGIDR, National Law School Bangalore, Hyderabad Central University, University of Hamburg and University of Ghent; funded by the European Union)
- International Workshop on Peace Science and Regional Science led by Prof. Walter Isard (organized jointly with Manas Chatterji), IGIDR Mumbai, August 10-12, 2007
- Third Asia Link Program Workshop on Law and Economics, July 21 to 30, 2008, IGIDR (part of the collaboration between IGIDR, National Law School Bangalore, Hyderabad Central University, University of Hamburg and University of Ghent; funded by the European Union; organized jointly with Jayati Sarkar)
- Workshop on Economic Instruments of Water Resource Management - Recent Developments, January 9 to 10, 2009 (organized jointly with Nirmal Sengupta, P.V. Srinivasan, Sripad Motiram and VIjaylaxmi Pandey)
- Special 75th Birthday Conference in honor of Dr. Kirit Parikh, Founder Director IGIDR, October 26-27, 2010 (organized jointly with Vijaylaxmi Pandey and Jai Mohan Pandit)
- IGIDR-University of Hamburg Joint Training Workshop in Law and Economics, IGIDR, December 6-10, 2010
- Inauguration of the Erasmus Mundus Programs on Law and Economics, IGIDR Mumbai by Hon’ble Human Resource Development Minister (India) Mr. Kapil Sibal and Address to the EMLE Class 2011 by Prof. Madhava Menon, Founder Director Emeritus of National Law School Bangalore, National University of Juridical Sciences Kolkata and National Judicial Academy Bhopal, April 2011
- Distinguished Lecture on Law and Economics, Dr. Y.V. Reddy, Former Governor of RBI, at IGIDR Mumbai, April 2011
- International Training Workshop on Law and Economics, IGIDR, Mumbai, October 3-13, 2011 and the Workshop and Board meeting of the Erasmus Mundus European Masters Program in Law and Economics, IGIDR, Mumbai, October 14-15, 2011
- All India University and College Faculty Refresher Program in Economics, IGIDR, Mumbai, November 14-December 2, 2011 (organized jointly with Rupayan Pal)
- BIG (Bayreuth-IGIDR-Groningen) International Workshop on Rationality and Decision, IGIDR, Mumbai (with experts such as Prasanta Pattanaik (UC Riverside), Cristina Bicchieri (U.Penn.), Martin van Hees (Groningen) and Matthew Braham (Bayreuth)), December 10 to 15, 2012
- Overall Master Planning for the IGIDR Silver Jubilee Celebrations, 2012-13, that sets the big picture, whose individual components are: Silver Jubilee Conference to be inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Distinguished Silver Jubilee Lecture Series consisting of 12 to 14 such lectures, Six thematic conferences, and the planning for books based on the Silver Jubilee Conference, Silver Jubilee Lectures, Reminiscences on IGIDR, and Showcasing of IGIDR Faculty and Student Research over the past 25 years (with Mahendra Dev and Jai Mohan Pandit)
- Within the above framework, planning and execution of the IGIDR Silver Jubilee Conference, IGIDR, Mumbai December 1 to 3, 2012 (Co-Convenor of the Conference along with the Registrar and Director, members being K.V. Ramaswamy, Sudhakara Reddy and Rajendra Vaidya)
- Planning and organization of IGIDR Distinguished Silver Jubilee Lectures of Abhijit Banerjee, Pranab Bardhan, Jagdish Bhagwati, Cristina Bicchieri, Angus Deaton, Meghnad Desai, Avinash Dixit, Gene Grossman, Dilip Mookherjee, R.K. Pachauri, Prasanta Pattanaik, Hans-Bernd Schaefer, Nicholas Stern, M.S. Swaminathan (jointly with Mahendra Dev), December 2012 to February 2014
- Planning and Organization as well as Presentation of the Overview of the book “Development in India” at the Book Release Function of “Development in India: Micro and Macro Perspectives” (authored by S. Mahendra Dev and P.G. Babu) by Dr. Aravind Panagariya, Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, and discussants Dr. T.C.A. Anant, Dr. Subir Gokarn and Dr. Arvind Virmani, India International Center, New Delhi, September 28, 2015.
- Organization of CAFRAL IGIDR Winter School in Economics and Finance with speakers such as Professors Abhijit Banerjee (MIT), Debopam Bhattacharya (Oxford), Esther Duflo (MIT), Ed Glaeser (Harvard), Ravi Jagannathan (Northwestern), Aprajit Mahajan (Berkeley), Manju Puri (Duke), Raghuram Rajan (RBI) among others, IGIDR, December 12-16, 2015 (with N. Prabhala)
- Organization of “International Conclave on Foundations of Decision and Game Theory” with IGIDR-IIT Bombay collaboration, as part of National Mathematics Initiative (NMI) Game Theory Year activities, March 14 to 19, 2016 (joint with Vivek S. Borkar and Mallikarjuna Rao of IIT Bombay); this event comprises of two short courses on Networks, a contributed two day conference on Decision and Game Theory and two day Colloquium in Behavioral Economics.
- International PPE Workshop on “Individual Choices and Collective Decisions”, May 15 to 20, 2016 (joint with Martin van Hees (Free University of Amsterdam, Netherlands) and Matthew Braham (University of Bayreuth, Germany)), Joint activity of IGIDR, Free University of Amsterdam, and University of Bayreuth (around 27 participants from India and another 28 from Germany, Netherlands and EMLE program)
- First Warsaw School of Economics (SGH)-IGIDR Joint Research Workshop, Warsaw, June 2017 (organized together with Professors Tomasz Shapiro (Then Rector of SGH), Jarek Beldowski, and Balcerowicz (Former Rector of SGH and Former Prime Minister of Poland)).
- International PPE Spring School on “Rationality and Choice” (joint with Martin van Hees (Free University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)), Joint activity of IGIDR-VU with Professors Paul Anand (Open University Oxford) and Kai Spiekermann (LSE), June 1 to 3, 2017.
- Chief Economic Advisors’ Symposium with all the past and present CEAs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India and Industry leaders on “Future of India” (jointly with S. Mahendra Dev and A. Ganesh-Kumar), Dec 7 to 8, 2017.
- Second IGIDR-Warsaw School of Economics Joint Research Workshop, Mumbai, April 24, 2018.
- International PPE Spring School on “Markets, Rules and Choice” (joint with Martin van Hees (Free University of Amsterdam)), short courses by Shaun Hargreaves Heap (King’s College London), Peter Knaack (University of Oxford), and Matthew Braham (Hamburg) and Martin van Hees (VU Amsterdam), July 10 to 14, 2018.
SELECT INVITED WORKSHOPS
- Invited by the National Judicial Academy, Bhopal to deliver the Key Note address on “Game Theoretic Analysis of Trial Process” in the Judicial Workshop on “Trial Process Management”, January 8 to 10, 2010
- “Political Economy of Failed States: A Second Reading”, Invited Keynote Lecture, Interdisciplinary Workshop on “Failed States”, University of Bayreuth, Germany, July 6, 2011
- “Notes on Sustainability”, Invited Keynote Speaker, European Union Workshop on “Erasmus Mundus – a platform for Europe-Asia synergies”, Brussels, Belgium, September 28-29, 2011
- “Notes on Joint Curriculum Development”, Invited Keynote Speaker, ASEM European Union Workshop on “Quality Assurance”, Centre International d’etudes pedagogiques de Sevres (CIEP), Sevres, France, October 11-12, 2012, organized by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research on behalf of the Council of EU Education Ministers
- “David Gale, Lloyd Shapley and Alvin Roth: Matching Design”, Invited Lecture, IIT Bombay Nobel Symposium, IIT Bombay, November 9, 2012
- Invited by the University of Bialystok and Warsaw School of Economics to deliver “Lectures on Law and Economic Development” at University of Bialystok and Warsaw School of Economics, Poland (September 16-25, 2013)
- Invited to be part of the Conference Round Table Panel on “Evolution of Law and Economic Development: Crossing View Points”, chaired a session and discussed a paper, European Association of Law and Economics (EALE) conference, Aix Marseille University, Aix en Provence, France, September 18 to 20, 2014.
- “Open Access Publishing in India” (joint with Thomas Eger and Mark Scheufen), presented as Invited Plenary Lecture at the International Conference on Law and Economics, March 14-15 2015, Organized by GNLU, IIM Ahmedabad and IIT Kanpur.
- “Law, Philosophy and Economics: Constructing Methodological Middle Ground”, Plenary Lecture 39th Annual Conference of Association of Economists of Tamilnadu, December 21 to 22, 2018, Department of Economics, MCC, Chennai and IDRC Lecture at Yangon University of Economics, Myanmar.
RESEARCH AND CAPACITY BUILDING PROJECTS
- Conference Board of Canada funded research project under the Canada-India Applied Economic and Business Policy Linkage program entitled "Carbon Dioxide and economic initiatives for reduction: Application to India and Canada". Part of this work appears as a chapter in a monograph co-published by IGIDR and North-South institute, 1993-94
- Contributor to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) document: writing team 2 on "Environmental Decision Making under Uncertainty" whose lead authors are K.J.Arrow, J.Parikh and G.Pillet, 1994-95
- IGIDR-Economic Growth Center of Yale-SOW, Free University of Amsterdam joint research work on “land consolidation”. The research team included T.N. Srinivasan, Kirit Parikh, and Michiel Keyzer, 1995-1998
- UNDP project on "Capacity building for introduction of Environmental economics into Decision Making for Sustainable Development", 1995-2000
- IGIDR-University of Hamburg collaborative program on “Law and Economics”, 2001 onwards, Coordinator
- Asia Link Program on “Human Resource Development in Law and Economics in India and Europe”, funded by the European Union, which is a collaborative venture between IGIDR, Universities of Ghent, Hamburg, Hyderabad and National Law School Bangalore, 2005-2008, Coordinator
- Successfully completed the entire process of IGIDR’s entry into the European Union funded International “Erasmus Mundus European Masters Program in Law and Economics (EMLE)” from 2010 as a third term Institute partner along with Universities of Aix-en-Provence, Bologna, Ghent, Haifa, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Vienna, and Warsaw, as the IGIDR Coordinator
- Successfully completed the entire process of IGIDR’s entry into the European Union funded International “Erasmus Mundus European Doctoral Program in Law and Economics (EDLE)” as partner from 2010 along with Universities of Bologna, Hamburg, and Rotterdam, as the IGIDR Coordinator
- Done the ground work for IGIDR’s MoU with Universities of Amsterdam, Free University of Amsterdam, Bayreuth, Hamburg for student exchange and research collaboration
- Prepared the ground for IGIDR to initiate “Master in Development Practice” (MDP) program in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and International Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS) as the Coordinator
- King’s College London, University of California Berkeley, and IGIDR Joint Research Project on “Political Economy of India”, Won the UKIERI Funding (jointly with Pranab Bardhan, Mahendra Dev, Sunil Khilnani and Louis Tillin), 2013-14
- IGIDR Proposal entitled “Capacity Building in Inclusive Development: An IGIDR Regional Initiative” won Government of Canada’s IDRC Funding, 2013-1019 (Coordinator)
Available on request