Assistant ProfessorMadras Institute of Development Studies 79, II Main Road, Gandhinagar, Adyar, Chennai 600020
Telephone: 0091-44-24412589 24411574 24420204 24419771; Extn: 340; Fax: 0091-44-24910872
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Mobile: +91-8777085233, +91-9831937454
- PhD in Economics from University of Durham, UK (2009 – 2013).
Title of Thesis: Essays on Inflation Volatility.
- Master of Science in Project Planning & Development Policy Analysis from University of Glasgow, UK (2007 – 2008).
- Master of Science in Economics from University of Calcutta, India (2004 – 2006). Special paper was Statistics & Econometrics.
- Bachelor of Science in Economics from University of Calcutta, India (2001 – 2004).
- Assistant Professor at Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS), Chennai (Aug 2017 – Present).
- Research Consultant at Centre for Training and Research in Public Finance and Policy (CTRPFP) in Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (Jan 2016 – Aug 2017).
- Associate Fellow at National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER), New Delhi (Sep 2013 – Dec 2015).
Area of Research
Macroeconomic modelling, Business cycles, Monetary and Fiscal Policies, Financial Sector and Time-series analysis.
- Faculty of MIDS (2018 - 2019).
Course Taught: Advanced Macroeconomics for PhD coursework.
- Visiting / Guest Lecturer (2015 - 2019).
Institutions: IIM Bangalore, Bangalore; Jadavpur University, Kolkata; Madras School of Economics, Chennai; Reserve Bank Staff College, Chennai; Department of Economics, University of Madras, Chennai; Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta; University of Gour Banga, Malda; TERI University, New Delhi.
Courses Taught: Bayesian Estimation of DSGE Model; International Finance; Advanced Macroeconomic Modelling, DSGE Modelling and its’ Applications for Indian Economy, New Keynesian Macroeconomics, Monetary Theory and Policy.
- Teaching Assistant (2009 - 2013).
Institutions: Department of Economics and Finance, Durham University, Durham, UK; Department of Economics, Newcastle University Business School, Newcastle, UK.
Courses Taught: Elements of Economics, Economic Methods, Business Economics, Accounting and Finance, Advanced Macroeconomics, International Finance, Dissertation Workshops.
- Advanced level knowledge in applications of Dynare and E-views software
- Acquainted with TROLL, MATLAB, SPSS, STATA, and R for econometric analysis.
- Research Fellow, Bank for International Settlements, Basel (May 2019).
- External Expert, Reserve Bank of India, Mumbai (Nov 2018; May 2016).
- Visiting Expert, Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome (Feb - Mar 2015).
Grants / Research Fundings
- Received Bank for International Settlements (BIS) Research Fellowship to undertake a study on "Financial Frictions and Monetary Policy Transmission in the Era of Financial Crisis – Evidence from Emerging Asian Economies" (November 2018).
- Received Faculty Development Fund at Madras Institute of Development Studies for a study on “Cross-country Differential of Inflation Volatility: Examining the Role of Supply-side Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission” (August 2018).
- Received a Development Research Group Study from Reserve Bank of India on “Financial Shocks to Banking Sector and Business Cycle Outcomes in India” (July 2018).
- As Project Leader, completed a Development Research Group Study from Reserve Bank of India on “Role of Financial Frictions in Monetary Policy Transmission in India” (January 2016 to March 2018).
- As Project Leader, received a grant from Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC) for “Developing a Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model for the Indian Economy” (September 2014), New Delhi.
- Received Think Tank Initiative (TTI) Grant for presenting paper in 13th European Economics and Finance Society Conference (June 2014), Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Received Caedmon Trust Award (2012) to participate in the International Conference of European Economics and Finance Society (June 2012), Istanbul, Turkey.
- Funded by Royal Economic Society to attend the Easter School at the University of Birmingham (March 2011), Birmingham, UK.
- Received Durham Academic Scholarship for Doctoral research (2009-10), University of Durham, UK.
- External Expert, Member of Standing Committee of Centralized Information Management System (CIMS) at Department of Statistics and Information Management (DSIM), RBI (May 2019 - present).
- PhD Programme Committee Coordinator, MIDS (July 2019 - present)
- Member of Academic Council, MIDS (August 2018- present)
- Member of Doctoral Committee, IIT Madras (2017- present)
- Editorial Work for CRTPFP Newsletter, CSSSC (2016-17)
- Project Coordinator for the project “Financial Globalization in India: Opportunities, Challenges and Reform” sponsored by Foreign and Commonwealth Office, British High Commission, New Delhi (July 2014 to June 2015)
- Member of Knowledge Resource Committee, NCAER (2013-2015)
- “A Monetary Business Cycle Model for India” (with Parantap Basu, University of Durham and Chetan Ghate, ISI Delhi); forthcoming in Economic Inquiry. Available here
- “Micro-level Price Setting Behaviour in India: Evidence from Group and Sub-group Level CPIIW Data” (with Rudrani Bhattacharya, NIPFP), NIPFP Working Paper No. 217 (Dec 2017), forthcoming in Economic and Political Weekly. Available here
- “Role of Financial Frictions in Monetary Policy Transmission in India” (with Rakesh Arya, RBI; Sanjib Bardoloi, RBI; and Harendra Behera, RBI), published as Development Research Group (DRG) Study No. 44 of Reserve Bank of India (March 2018). Available here
- “Technology Shocks and Business Cycles in India” with Parantap Basu (July 2017), published in Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press. Available here
- “Empirical Regularities of Inflation Volatility: Evidence from Advanced and Developing Countries” (Jun 2017), published in South Asian Journal of Macroeconomics and Public Finance, SAGE Publishing. Available here
- “Indian Economy During the Era of Quantitative Easing: A Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Perspective” with Parantap Basu (Nov 2016), published in Monetary Policy in India: A Modern Macroeconomic Perspective, edited by Chetan Ghate and Kenneth Kletzer, Springer, New Delhi. Available here
- “A Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model for India” with Parantap Basu, published as an NCAER Working Paper 109 (May 2015); New Delhi. Available here
- “Welfare Cost of Inflation Volatility: Evidence from Advanced & Developing Economies”, Conference on Indian Macroeconomic Policy (Feb 2014), New Delhi, India. Available here and Here
- “Inflation Volatility and Activism of Monetary Policy”, Centre for Economic Growth and Policy Working Paper (Nov 2013), Durham, UK. Available here
Work in Progress
- “Estimation of Macro-Financial Linkages for the Indian Economy” (with Jayanthi Anand, RBI and Shahshanka Bhide, NCAER) – is under revise and resubmit.
- “How do the prices react to financial shocks?” (with Harendra Behera, RBI).
- “Micro and Macro Dimensions of the US Monetary Policy Spillover to Emerging Market Economies” (with Madhusudan Mohanty, BIS).
- “Financial Shocks to Banking Sector and Business Cycle Outcomes in India” (with Jibin Jose, RBI; Radheshyam Verma, RBI; Shilu Mudli, RBI and Ranajoy Guha Neyogi, RBI).
- Agricultural Outlook and Situation Analysis Reports: Rabi Outlook Report, with Rajesh Chadha, Ayyapasore Govindan, Laxmi Joshi, V. P. Ahuja, Charu Jain (Jan 2016), National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
- Agricultural Outlook and Situation Analysis Reports, with Rajesh Chadha, Ayyapasore Govindan, Laxmi Joshi, V. P. Ahuja, Charu Jain, Sameer Kumar Mondal (Sep 2015), National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
- Contributed to "Price Chapter" in Malcolm Adiseshiah Mid-Year Review of the Indian Economy 2015-16 (Nov 2016), National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
- Contributed to "Price Chapter" in Quarterly Review: Review of The Economy, (2014-15, and 2015-16), National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
- Macro-econometric Modelling of Medium term Sustainable Fiscal Position, with Bornali Bhandari, Shashanka Bhide, Seema Sanghita, and Indira Iyer (Nov 2014), National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
Seminar / Workshop / Conference Presentation
- Presentation on “Role of Financial Frictions in Monetary Policy Transmission in India” at Research Meeting, Bank for International Settlements (22nd May 2019).
- Presentation of DRG Study at faculty Seminars (Mar – Aug 2018) of MIDS, Chennai; IIT Kanpur; IIT Bombay; Ashoka University, Sonepat; National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi and IIM Bangalore.
- Presentation of DRG Study on “Role of Financial Frictions in Monetary Policy Transmission in India” at IGIDR 17th Annual Workshop and Conference on DSGE Modelling for Emerging Economies (Aug 2018); and Annual Conference of Department of Economic and Policy Research (Jun 2017) at Kochi in India.
- Australasian Development Economics Workshop (Jun 2016), Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
- 11th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development (Dec 2015), Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India
- Research Workshop on DSGE Modeling for the Emerging and Developing economies (Sep 2014), NCAER, New Delhi, India
- 13th Annual Conference of European Economics and Finance Society (EEFS) (Jun 2014), Thessaloniki, Greece
- Annual General Conference on Contemporary Issues in Development Economics (Jan 2014), Department of Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
- 9th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development (Dec 2013), Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India
- 11th Annual Conference of European Economics and Finance Society (EEFS) (Jun 2012), Istanbul, Turkey
Workshop and Training
- Easter School of Royal Economic Society at University of Birmingham (Mar 2011) on “Fiscal Policy” under the guidance of Professor Fabio Canova.
- Winter School at Queens Mary University of London (Dec 2011) on “Bayesian Methods of Empirical Macroeconomics” instructed by Professor Garry Koop.
- Durham University Teaching and Learning Award (DULTA) in 2013.
- Economic Modelling, Economic System, Journal of Quantitative Economics, South Asian Journal of Macroeconomics and Public Finance, Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Journal of Economic Asymmetries and Margin.
Available on request